The St. John Genealogy

Origin and Ancestry DNA database

John St. John, I of Stanton-St. John

John St. John, I of Stanton-St. John

Male Abt 1055 - Aft 1149  (~ 95 years)

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Event Map    |    All

  • Name John St. John 
    • JOHN ST. JOHN, I10618 Raoul, Rodulf, Esperleng. In 1118, John and Roger St. John surrendered La Motte-Gautier de Clinchamp to the Angevins. In 1140, his brother, Thomas, was deceased; John secured Thomas’ lands in England by payment of the large sum of 160 marcs: “[Thomas was] succeeded [by] John de S. Iohn, who in 5 Steph. [1140] Gave 160 Marks of Silver for Livery of the Lands which his Brother Thomas had in England. Which Iohn was a witness to that Grant of the Church of Combe, made by Maud the Empress to the Monks of Egnesham, in Com. Oxon. And likewise bestowed on those Monks the Church of Stanton”. He is the progenitor for the St. John lineage of Stanton-St. John, Lageham, Instow, England and Uchel-olau, Glamorgan, Wales. Orderic Vitalis records that "Rogerius de Sancto Johanne et Johannes frater eius" defended the castle of La Motte-Gautier against Foulques V Comte d´Anjou for Henry I King of England in 1118. A charter dated to [before] 1121 records that "Thomas de Sancto Johanne" had constructed his castle at Saint-Jean with wood taken from land of the abbey of Saint-Michel and records his donation in settlement of their claim, signed by "Thoma, Johanne fratre eius et Rogerio…". The Historia Fundationis of Kingswood priory in Wiltshire records that King Stephen granted “illi de Kingswode Haseldene…terras Reginaldo de sancto Walerico” to "Johanne de sancto Johanne", in the early years of his reign.
    • Note: According to John Bernard Burke, The Roll of Battle Abbey, page 97 (1848), this John was a person of great eminence in the reign of William Rufus [1087-1100], being one of the twelve knights that accompanied Robert Fitz-Hamon, Earl of Gloucester, in a warlike expedition against the Welsh, and received, “in reward for his great services, and helps in many victories,” the castle of Faumont, co. Glamorgan. This Twelve Knights of Glamorgan is a legend originating in the 16th century (1501-1600) by Sir Edward Mansel of Margam in, “An Account of the Cause of the Conquest of Glamorgan by Sir Robert FitzHaymon and his Twelve Knights.” Even if this legend is based on fact, Mansel names the knight of Fonmon as Sir Oliver [de Port-] St. John and not John St. John of Stanton-St. John, Oxfordshire, England. Burke also makes this John the son of his brother William and then claims this William was the husband of Oliva de Filgiers, who was a woman of nearly a century later that married another William in the de Port-St. John lineage. These discrepancies, and many more like this, should be reviewed carefully and dismissed without further concern. Unfortunately, these claims appear in widely accepted, modern publications and published family trees. See Volume II for a more accurate account of the de Port-St. John family of Fonmon.
    • JOHN ST. JOHN 1I10618 Raoul, Rodulf, Esperleng was the son of RAOUL ST. JOHN and _____ _____ was living in 1140 when he bought the rights to his brother, Thomas’ Oxfordshire estate for 160 marcs: “[Thomas was] succeeded [by] John de S. Iohn, who in 5 Steph. [1140] Gave 160 Marks of Silver for Livery of the Lands which his Brother Thomas had in England. Which Iohn was a witness to that Grant of the Church of Combe, made by Maud the Empress [daughter to King Henry I of England and mother to King Henry II] to the Monks of Egnesham, in Com. Oxon. And likewise bestowed on those Monks the Church of Stanton”.


      John assisted his brother Roger in the defense of La Motte-Gautier, and in 1121 was a party to his brother, Thomas's agreement with Le Mont-St-Michel. Between 1126 and 1129 he witnessed at Rockingham a charter of Henry I for Kirkham Priory, and between 1135 and 1149 he gave the church of Stanton St. John to Eynsham Abbey. He appears to have been one of the founders of Godstow Priory. He was a supporter of the Empress in the Civil War.
      He was named as mesne tenant in 1086, (probably pushing his birth back to before 1066) As mesne tenant, John St. John was a vassal under the tenant-in-chief, Honour of Gloucester, in the 1086 listing for Instow, Devon, England recorded in the Domesday Book as Walter de Claville. (Thorn, 2, 24,26 Book of Fees name of manor: Jonestowe) The Book of Fees where the mesne tenants were recorded was compiled about 1302 but was created from earlier records [some] dating back to the Domesday Book for the use of the English Exchequer.


      Note: There were several “Walter de Claville” succeeding the one named as the Domesday Book tenant and the year 1086 probably pushes this John St. John back too far for a consistent timeline between his parents and his children. It is possible there were multiple generations of John St. John but without better timeline references, it remains unclear. For the purposes of this work, one generation is listed here. It seems more reasonable, the Book of Fees has dating inconsistencies since it was created centuries after the events in question and from a variety of records that cannot be currently reviewed and which are not consistently dated.


      Under the Heading of Hundredum de Fremyngton it is recorded, “Villa de Ynnstowe cum Tapele, Hywysh Beaupel et Wolryngton, quo sunt membra ad candom, et est dominus ejusdem John de Sancto Johanne.” Under the Heading of Hundredum de Cherledon, “Villa de Shenyngelde cum hamletto de Swallowfelde – Johannes de Sancto Johanne.” (Inquisitions and Assessments Relating to Feudal Aids: Bedford to Devon).

    • Stanton St. John lies north-east by east of Oxford, the nearest boundary of the parish being three miles, and the village itself four and a half miles, from the centre of the city. The parish is bounded to the east by Waterperry, to the south by Forest Hill with Shotover, to the west and northwest by Beckley and Stowood, and to the north by Horton cum Studley; for a short distance in the north-east it touches the county boundary between Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire. The village of Stanton St. John stands on the rising ground to the west of Stanton Great Wood, just above the 300-ft. contour, and between two springs which feed the Moorbirge Brook. The name Stanton is derived from the Old English stan-tun, 'the homestead of stony ground'. The centre of the village lies a little to the north-east of the London Way, at the junction of the Headington–Oakley road with a road which runs southwards and meets London Way some three-quarters of a mile out of Forest Hill. The parish church, the Rectory, and Rectory Farm lie in the south-western angle, and Manor Farm and Stanton House in the northern angle of the junction. The Mill-house lies a quarter of a mile from the centre of the village on the south side of the Oakley road, and the majority of the houses and cottages of Stanton line this road and the road going south to the London Way. The Methodist chapel was on the north side of the Oakley road, about half-way to the mill. There are two inns in the village, the 'George' and the 'Star', the former at the southern end of the village on London Way, and the latter only a few houses above it. The 'White Horse', mentioned in the inclosure award of 1778, really belonged to Forest Hill village, though it was in fact just within Stanton parish until 1948. A fourth inn, the 'Chequers', which lay between the 'Star' and the church, was pulled down about 1890. The village school, a 19th-century building, is set back from the London Way, opposite the 'George'.
      Woodperry House and Farm are a short distance to the south of the Headington–Studley road, and half a mile north of Stanton village, from which they may be reached by a footpath. 'Woodperry' is derived from the O.E. wudu-pyrige, 'the pear-tree near the wood', and it is interesting to note that in the 17th century part of the farm-land was called Peeretree Lane Ground. Woodperry village has disappeared. The taxation assessments of the 14th century indicate that it was only a third of the size of Stanton; but though there is a tradition that the village was destroyed by fire and abandoned in the 15th century, the evidence of the court rolls is that a community was still living at Woodperry in the 1540's. In 1716 Hearne noted that Woodperry was 'formerly a town', and that the foundations of buildings were often discovered. One of the closes near Woodperry House—possibly the one later called Engine Ground—was significantly named Town Close in the early 17th century. In 1838 excavations revealed the site of Woodperry church, and it was thought that the medieval village had occupied much of Upper Ashen Close. Excavations begun in 1953 have shown that while there are clear indications of Roman occupation up to 300 yds. east of the church site, the medieval village is unlikely to have extended for more than 100 yds. in the same direction. Medieval material has been found up to 50 yds. to the north and south of the church. A hollow which runs east-west through the village site appears to indicate the line of the street. In 1628 there were 'houses and buildings' in Coleman's Close, the next field eastwards from Ashen Close on the south side of the Studley road. Woodperry Green adjoins both Ashen and Coleman's Closes.
      Another lost hamlet is Stowford. The present-day Stowford Farm may mark its site. The fields here on either side of the road are shown on an 18thcentury map as Stafford Grove, Stafford Close, and Stafford Lane Furlong. The first record of the hamlet occurs in the Hundred Rolls of 1279, where Robert Bastard is stated to hold a messuage and a hide of land there, while St. Bartholomew's Hospital, Oxford, had 2 messuages and a virgate, and Walter of Stowford had a messuage and ½ a virgate. It is mentioned among the county's vills in 1316 and in 14th-century tax assessment lists, but no further record has been found.
      There are three outlying farms in the parish of Stanton, besides Stowford Farm and Woodperry Farm. Breach Farm lies to the south-east of Stanton village, in the south-west corner of the Breach Grounds—the name indicates a clearing or assart— which skirt the south side of Stanton Great Wood. Moco Farm is on the opposite side of the parish just within its northern boundary, on the edge of Studley Wood. Menmarsh Farm is on the eastern bank of Woodperry brook, to the north-east of Stanton village. Minchincourt Farm, immediately adjoining Forest Hill village, was in Stanton parish until 1948.
    • St. John of Instow, Devon, England
      The St. John family came into possession of the Instow estate no later than 1086. As mesne tenant, John St. John was a vassal under the tenant-in-chief, Honour of Gloucester, in the 1086 listing for Instow, Devon, England recorded in the Domesday Book as Walter de Claville. (Thorn, 2, 24,26 Book of Fees name of manor: Jonestowe) The Book of Fees where the mesne tenants were recorded was compiled about 1302 but was created from earlier records [some] dating back to the Domesday Book for the use of the English Exchequer.
      This property followed the St. John family of Stanton-St. John like the properties in Lageham, Surrey until it was granted to (Generation Eight) John St. John’s, 1st Baron St. John of Lageham, younger son, Alexander:
      • A.D. 1303, Inquisitions and Assessments under the heading, Hundred de Freminton (Devon), ‘Johnannes de Sancto Johanne tenet in Innestowe quartam partem f.’
      • A.D. 1316, Inquisitions and Assessments (1284-1431) under the heading, Hundredum de Freminton (Devon), ‘Johannes de Sancto Johanne [1st Baron St. John of Lageham] tenet in Innestowe quartam partem f.’ Translates, Instow f. holds in the fourth part of John of St. John.
      • A.D. 1316, Inquisitions and Assessments (1284-1431) under the heading, Hundredum de Fremington (Devon), ‘Villa de Ynnstowe cum Tapele, Hywysh, Beaufel et Wolryngton, que sunt membra ad candem, et est dominus ejusdem Johannes de Sancto Johanne [1st Baron St. John of Lageham].’ Translates, ‘Villa of Instow with Tapele, Hywysh, Beaufel and Wolryngton, are members of the ~ sing, and is the Lord of the said John of St. John.’
      • A.D. 1346, Inquisitions and Assessments (1284-1431) under the heading, Hundredum de Freminton (Devon), ‘De Olivero de Sancto Johanne [Generation Ten: of East Luccombe and son of Alexander St. John, of East Luccombe and Instow] pro iiijta parte un. F. m. in Ynnstowe, tenta de honore de Gloucestria i. c. quam Johannes de Sancto Johanne quondam tenuit.’ Translates, Oliver St. John holds the fourth part of Instow, held in the honour of Gloucester which John of St. John formerly held.
      • A.D. 1428, Inquisitions and Assessments () under the heading, Hundredum de Fremyngton (Devon), ‘Willelmus Molton, Johannes Fellecombe tenet quartam partem un. F. m. in Ynnstowe, quam tenet separtini inter se, et nullus eorum tenet integram quartam partem, et quam ab antique Oliverus de Sancto Johanne quondam.’ Translation, ‘William Molton, John Fellecombe [each] holds a quarter of a f. m. in Instow, which he holds separate with each other and no one of them holds the fourth part of the whole, and out of the Holy Spirit as well as from antique Oliver St. John.’
    Suffix I of Stanton-St. John 
    Born abt. 1055  St. Jean-le-Thomas, Normandy, France Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Fact 1 abt. 1100  Oxford, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Birth of child: Thomas St. John, heir
    1100 abt. ? Age: 45
    bef. 1149; In a deed of 1149 John de St. John implied that his son Thomas was his heir, (fn. 56) and by 1168 this Thomas was holding the Stanton property. (fn. 57) 
    Fact 1 22 Apr 1139  Oxfordshire, England, UK Find all individuals with events at this location 
    History of Godstow and of the Nunery as described in a dedication King Stephen charter.
    ...

    \"Johannes de Sancto Johanne gave one mill of four pounds in Wlgaricola, and the mansurm of two men with the appurtenances; and a plot of ground in front of the door of the said church, on the island which lies between the two streams, and half the meadow which is called Lambeia.

    Robert de Olleio gave the other half of the same meadow, that is to say of Lambeia, and one bushel of wheat annually.

    And the citizens of Oxinefordia gave land in Porimaneit which Sangrunus holds.

    The gift of John St. John was perhaps the most important, as it included, besides the valuable mill at Wolvercot (this was no doubt a water-mill by the side of Godstow bridge, where the inn no stands), the ground upon which part of the Nunnery was erected, namely, in front of the west door. Adjoining it seems to have been the \"Lamb Island\", also surrounded by streams, or rather ditches.

    The gift of the \"citteseynes and burges\" (as the MS. translation gives it) of Oxford, was land in Port-meadow, which was probably on the other side of the stream from the Nunnery.

    There was also an important gift from Reginald St. Valery, who gave --

    Heringesham and Boteham (Boieham in translation), and one fishery with its appurtenances, and the whole of the island between the two bridges and the above-named island, which John of St. John gave at the dedication of the said church\"

    https://books.google.com/books?id=rQUVAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA1-PA187&lpg=RA1-PA187&dq=william+percival+d%27ivry&source=bl&ots=1Wz7GwPv5j&sig=5d8QS04qGB-YqR3908SE93RdBeM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwik8-WIndfdAhULWq0KHdR4B-E4ChDoATADegQIBhAB#v=onepage&q=%22St.%20John%22&f=false

    page 145 & 146 
    Fact 1 1145  Oxfordshire, England, UK Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Sender
    Eugenius III, pope
    Receiver
    Ediva (Edith) of Winchester
    Translated letter:
    Eugene, bishop, servant of the servants of God, to his beloved daughters in Christ, Ediva prioress of the monastery of St. John the Baptist of Godstow and her sisters, present and future who have professed the (regular) life by rule in perpetuity. For this the care of the universal church was committed to us by God, the provider of all goods, that we love religious persons and are zealous to extend religion well pleasing to God in all ways. For service is never pleasing to God unless proceeding from the root of charity it is preserved by purity of religion. It is fitting therefore that all lovers of the christian faith love religion and foster venerable places most attentively with those persons committed to divine service, so that they are not disturbed by any harm from evil men or tired by persistent tribulation or taxes. Therefore beloved daughters in the lord, inclined by the prayers of our beloved Robert, cardinal priest and chancellor of the holy Roman church, we have mercifully agreed to your just requests and have taken the aforesaid monastery of blessed John the Baptist in which you are committed to divine service under the protection of St. Peter and of us and relay that to you by the privilege of the present writing. Establishing first that the monastic order according to the rule of St. Benedict be inviolably preserved there perpetually. Moreover whatever possessions, whatever goods you possess justly and canonically or will be able to acquire in future by concession of present popes, gifts of kings, generosity of princes, offerings of the faithful, or others just means with the lord helping, may remain firm and whole to you and your successors. We have stated these in the following words: that monastery of blessed Mary and St. John the Baptist with its possessions and the island in which the monastery was founded, and its other appendages; from the gift of John of St. John and the gift of Reginald of St. Walric the land which is called Godstow with its appurtenances, the mill of Wolvercote, two properties in Wolvercote with their appurtenances, the island which lies between two waters before the gate of your monastery, three meadows namely Boiham Lichesey and Heringesham, one fishery on the Thames with its appurtenances, half the meadow which is called Lambey; another half of that meadow from the gift of Robert of Oilli with one measure of grain annually from the mill under the castle of Oxford; the church of St. Giles which is outside Oxford; from the gift of Alexander bishop of Lincoln, 100 s.[shillings] of Bambury tolls to be paid annually to you; from the gift of king Stephen a hundred pieces of land in Walton, fairs for three days at the nativity of St. John the Baptist at Godstow; from the gift of Roger bishop of Salisbury the mill which is called Boymill with its lands and appurtenances, two properties at St. Clement; from the gift of Reginald, son of the count and his wife Emeline, Eaton with all its appurtenances; in Halse 60 s. [soliditas, pieces] of land which Robert count of Leicester gave; from the gift of the citizens of Oxford, land which is called Wica in Port Meadow; whatever you have of right in the church of Wadell; from the gift of Hugh of Tew nine pieces of land in Oxford; from the gift of Sevar seven pieces of land outside Norgate; from the gift of Nicholas Basset one hide of land in Rissington; from the gifts of Roger of Amory fifty acres in Bletchingdon; in that town one rod of land and five acres from the gift of Walter of Perry; in Knowl the land which Ralph Waifer gave you, land which is called Sandford; from the gift of Robert of Wytham a part of the meadow near Godstow; from the gift of Elwin son of Godegos 18 pieces [soliditas] of land outside the south gate of Oxford; in East Cheap at London 17 pieces [solidatas] of land; in Winton five pieces of land from the gift of Ambrose; from the gift of viscount Ralph and his wife Matilda Schillingford; whatever you have of right in the tithes of Rollendricht; 20 s. [shillings] from the church of Ferendon from the gift of Robert bishop of Exeter to be paid annually; also from his gift 20 s. from the church of St. Mary of Gloucester to be paid annually. Beside this, we also decree that in the houses [cenobiis] which have come from your monastery and hold to your practices, no abbess or prioress of another order may be placed over them. Indeed at your death the prioress of that place or whoever of your successors may not be put over them by any stealthy trick or violence, except whom the sisters by common consent or a part of the sisters of sounder counsel provide, elected according to the fear of God and the rule of St. Benedict. Therefore we determine that it is permitted to no man to to disturb said place or take away its possessions or retain those that have been taken, to diminish or distress it by any kind of trouble but they must be preserved whole which have been granted for their governing and maintenance, to benefit them in all kinds of uses, except by authority of the apostolic see and canonic justice and reverence for the diocesan bishop. If any ecclesiastic or secular person knowing this page of our decree should boldly try to oppose it, admonished a second or third time, should not correct his guilt with suitable satisfaction, he would lose the office of his power and honor and be recognized as guilty of the committed iniquity before divine justice and be alienated from the most sacred body and blood of God and our lord redeemer Jesus Christ and be subject to strict punishment at the last judgment. And to all those serving his laws in that place, the peace of our lord Jesus Christ as far as they may obtain this fruit of good action and find the rewards of eternal peace with the final judge. Amen.

    Original letter:
    Eugenius episcopus servus servorum dei dilectis in Christo filiabus Edive priorisse monasterii sancti Johannis baptiste de Godestowe eiusque sororibus tam presentibus quam futuris regularem vitam professis inperpetuum. Ad hoc universalis ecclesie cura nobis a provisore omnium bonorum deo commissa est, ut religiosas diligamus personas et bene placentem deo religionem studeamus modis omnibus propagare. Neque enim deo gratus aliquando famulatus impenditur, nisi ex karitatis radice procedens a puritate religionis fuerit conservatus. Oportet igitur omnes christiane fidei amatores religionem diligere et loca venerabilia cum ipsis personis divino servitio mancipatis attentius confovere, ut nullis pravorum hominum inquietentur molestiis vel importunis angariis fatigentur. Eapropter, dilecte in domino filie, dilecti nostri Roberti sancte Romane ecclesie presbiteri cardinalis et cancellarii precibus inclinati vestris justis postulationibus clementer annuimus et prefatum beati Johannis baptiste monasterium, in quo divino mancipate estis obsequio, sub beati Petri et nostra protectione suscipimus et presentis scripti privilegio communimus. In primis siquidem statuentes ut ordo monasticus secundum beati Benedicti regulam perpetuis ibi temporibus inviolabiliter conservetur. Quascumque preterea possessiones, quecumque bona in presentiarum juste et canonice possidetis aut in futurum concessione pontificum, liberalitate regum, largitione principum, oblatione fidelium, seu aliis justis modis prestante domino poteritis adipisci, firma vobis vestrisque succedentibus et illibata permaneant. In quibus hec propriis duximus exprimenda vocabulis: monasterium ipsum beate Marie sanctique Johannis baptiste cum possessionibus et insula in qua fundatum est monasterium et aliis appendiciis suis; ex dono Johannis de Sancto Johanne et dono Reginaldi de Sancto Walerico terram que vocatur Godestowe cum pertinentiis, molendinum de Wulgarecote, duos mansos in Wolgarescote cum appendiciis suis, insulam que jacet inter duas aquas ante portam monasterii vestri, prata tria scilicet Boiham Lichesham et Heringesham, piscariam unam super Tamisiam cum appendiciis suis, dimidium pratum quod vocatur Lambeia; alteram medietatem eiusdem prati ex dono Roberti de Oilli cum modio uno frumenti annuatim de molendino sub castello Oxenefordii; ecclesiam sancti Egidii que est extra Oxeneford\'; ex dono Alexandri Lincoln\' episcopi C. s. de teloneo Banneberie annuatim vobis persolvendos; (fo. 184) ex dono regis Stephani centum solidatas terre in Waltono, nundinas trium dierum ad nativitatem sancti Johannis baptiste apud Godestowe; ex dono Rogeri Saresberiensis episcopi molendinum quod dicitur Boiemilne cum terris et appendiciis suis, mansos duos apud sanctum Clementem; ex dono Reginaldi filii comitis et Emeline uxoris eius Eatonam cum omnibus pertinentiis suis; in Halso lx. s. de terra quam dedit Robertus comes Leicestrie; ex dono civium Oxeneford\' terram que vocatur Wica in in Portmaneit; quicquid juris habetis in ecclesia Wadhille; ex dono Hugonis de Tywa novem solidatas terre in Oxeneford\'; ex dono Sevari septem solidatas terre extra Nordgatam; ex dono Nicholai Basset unam hidam terre in Risendona; ex dono Rogeri de Almeri quinquaginta acras in Blechesdon\'; in eadem villa unam virgatam terre et quinque acras ex dono Walteri de Peri; in Cnolla terram quam dedit vobis Radulphus Waifer, terram que vocatur Sandford\'; ex dono Roberti de Wictham partem prati juxta Godestowam; ex dono Ailwini filii Godegos xviii. solidatas terre extra portam Oxeneford\' australem; in Estchepe apud Londonias xvii. solidatas terre; in Wintonia quinque solidatas terre ex dono Ambrosii; ex dono Radulphi vicecomitis et Matillidis uxoris sue Sci?lingford\'; quicquid juris habetis in decimis de Rollendrith\'; xx. s. de ecclesia Ferendone ex dono Roberti Exoniensis episcopi annuatim persolvendos; ex ipsius etiam dono xx. s. de ecclesia sancte Marie Gloucestrie annuatim persolvendos. Preter hec autem sancimus ut in cenobiis que de monasterio vestro egressa sunt et instituta vestra tenent, nulla alterius ordinis abbatissa seu priorissa preponatur. Obeunte vero te nunc eiusdem loci priorissa vel tuarum qualibet succedentium nulla ibi qualibet subreptionis astutia seu violentia preponatur, nisi quam sorores communi consensu vel sororum pars consilii sanioris secundum dei timorem- et beati Benedicti regulam providerint eligendam. Decernimus ergo ut nulli omnino hominum liceat prefatum locum temere perturbare aut eius possessiones auferre vel ablatas retinere, minuere seu quibuslibet vexationibus fatigare sed omnia integra conserventur eorum, pro quorum gubernatione et sustentatione concessa sunt, usibus omnimodis profutura, salva sedis apostolice auctoritate et diocesani episcopi canonica justitia et reverentia. Si qua igitur in futurum ecclesiastica secularisve persona hujus nostre constitutionis paginam sciens contra eam temere temptaverit, secundo terciove commonita, si non reatum suum congrua satisfactione correxerit, potestatis honorisque sui dignitate careat reamque se divino judicio existere de perpetrata iniquitate cognoscat et a sacratissimo corpore et sanguine dei et domini redemptoris nostri Jhesu Christi aliena fiat atque in extremo examine districte ultioni subjaceat. Cunctis autem eidem loco sua jura servantibus sit pax domini nostri Jhesu Christi, quatinus et hic fructum bone actionis percipiant et apud districtum judicem premia eterne pacis inveniant. Amen.

    Historical context:
    The pope takes Godstow under his protection and confirms its various donated holdings.

    Printed source:
    I am grateful to Emilie Amt for this text which is now available in The Latin Cartulary of Godstow Abbey, ed. Emilie Amt, (Oxford: Oxford University, 2014), 360-62, #770.

    date
    1145

    https://epistolae.ctl.columbia.edu/letter/26079.html 
    Generation 04 
    Died aft. 1149  Oxford, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • living in 1139; named heir Thomas in 1149
    Record Status 30 Aug 2014 
    Record Complete  
    Person ID I10618  St. John Origin and Ancestry DNA Database | St. John Generation One - Raoul de Sancto Johanne
    Last Modified 2 Nov 2018 

    Father Raoul d'Ivry, de Sancto Johanne,   b. abt. 1025, Rouen, Normandy, France Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. aft. 1121, St. Jean-le-Thomas, Normandy, France Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 97 years) 
    Relationship Birth 
    Relationship Birth 
    Family ID F3446  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Children 
     1. Avoris St. John, Alleged  [Birth]
    +2. Thomas St. John, II, of Stanton-St. John,   b. 1090-1130,   d. bef. 1176  (Age 45 years)  [Birth]
     3. William St. John, Rector of Steeple Barton,   b. abt. 1100  [Birth]
     4. Roger St. John,   b. abt. 1119  [Birth]
    Last Modified 2 Nov 2018 
    Family ID F3445  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - abt. 1055 - St. Jean-le-Thomas, Normandy, France Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsFact 1 - Birth of child: Thomas St. John, heir 1100 abt. ? Age: 45 bef. 1149; In a deed of 1149 John de St. John implied that his son Thomas was his heir, (fn. 56) and by 1168 this Thomas was holding the Stanton property. (fn. 57) - abt. 1100 - Oxford, England Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - aft. 1149 - Oxford, England Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 

  • Heraldry
    St. Jean-le-Thomas Coat of Arms
    St. Jean-le-Thomas Coat of Arms


This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 11.1, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2018.